30 Year Anniversary
Daniel E Tyler
Pilot C/229th 1970-71

On September 26th, 1970, Charlie Company, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division, lost two helicopters each carrying four crew in a mid-air collision east of Fire Support Base Garry Owen near Rang Rang in War Zone D, III Corps, Republic of Vietnam.  2LT Daniel E Tyler had been "Yellow-One" on that mission and was appointed to deliver a tribute to the aviators at a memorial service held at Bien Hoa Army Base on October 1st, 1970. 
Below is the text of that tribute:-

+ + + + + + + +

According to a time-honored tradition we have gathered here in a memorial tribute to eight individuals who were lost to us through an inexplicable tragedy. Of all, it can be said that they were fine soldiers or officers, professionals who courageously faced every difficult task in this oft disheartening conflict and relentlessly strove to accomplish their mission. It is ironic that the tragedy which cost their lives was not more directly related to the combat environment they all knew.

Our country has indeed lost the services of eight very capable and very dedicated soldiers. But those of us who knew them best by living with them, working and flying alongside them, and enjoying with them the limited amount of relaxation time we were allowed, knew them as much more than the outstanding soldiers and officers they were. We knew them each as warm, friendly, and colorful individuals, persons who somehow added something, something intangible yet invaluable, to the lives of all those privileged enough to make their acquaintance. As the shock of their untimely death passes we who knew them as brothers in a tightly knit aviation fraternity come to realize the countless memories we will have of these eight, great guys. Those of us who knew them would like to share with those who weren’t so fortunate some of the reasons these eight men stand so tall in our memories.

First Lieutenant Warren S Lawson came to Charlie Company in late July. He was a big, easy-going guy with a gentle, southern drawl. He seem to fit in naturally with the rest of the guys, he had a ready smile, and he was quick with words of encouragement to whoever needed them. When the business at hand was serious, no one was more serious. But when the mood changed he was the first to laugh. Somewhere along the line sombody nicknamed him “Wild Bill” and the name stuck. As a section leader he showed a keens sense of responsibility and as a pilot he was an eager student of combat aviation. “Wild Bill” Lawson was an all-right guy.

First Lieutenant Francis J Sullivan arrived in Charlie Company in early August. He was sort of a quiet type of guy but once you got to know him he were impressed by his friendliness and also by his keen perception. “Sully” learned fast and showed signs of someday becoming an outstanding aircraft commander. Not too many people knew the quiet New Englander well, but those who did knew him as a warm and understanding friend.

Warrant Officer Robert E Bauer was assigned to this unit in the middle of last April. The “old guys” of North Flag nicknamed Bob “Little Ogre”, after another member of the company who’d DEROS’s way back when. When we invaded Cambodia in May and the stepped-up operations taxed our minds and bodies, Ogre always seemed to come through with the badly needed laughs. Though he saw some of the thickest action of the campaign, he somehow never lost his cherry – or his sense of humor. He made his name a kind of a legend and wherever he went people gathered around to hear “The Gospel According to Ogre”. His wisecracks lightened the load we carried and his quips about the irony of war seemed to keep everything in perspective. Whenever we gathered for a few drinks and a few songs Little Ogre was there, leading the toasts and leading the songs. He knew well the bitterness of war and he kept it from getting any of us down. It’s hard to believe his glowing smile is gone, for his gruff but hearty laughter still echoes loud and clear in our memories. Little Ogre was truly an unforgettable character.

Warrant Officer Mark R Holtom arrived in Charlie Company in early April. Unlike the Ogre, Mark lost his cherry within a few weeks – but he never lost his cool. Before Hokus had been here three months he’d been shot up, shot down, and everything but blown away. But he still went out there, every day, never asking for slack, never taking any slack; his only request that he be left to his music when the missions for the day were complete. Hokus was a music nut – it didn’t make any difference what kind of music it was. He liked some kinds better than others but he could derive pleasure from any music. He used to say he didn’t care what anybody made him do or where he had to go, as long as he had his music. Yeah, Hokus was a real music nut, the greatest music nut we ever knew.

SFC Frederick F McAfee delivered a tribute
to the crew members.

+ In Memory +

The Men of Army Helicopter 68-16123
(“Thumpy - 1") flying “Yellow-Two”

WO1 Robert E Bauer
(10 March, 1947 - 26 September, 1970) Aircraft Commander

1LT Warren S Lawson
(22 October, 1947 - 26 September, 1970) Pilot

SP5 Douglas M Woodland
(6 September, 1951 - 26 September, 1970) Crew Chief

SP4 Robert A Painter
(1 November, 1949 - 26 September, 1970)Doorgunner

The Men of Army Helicopter 68-15648
(“Cherry Buster") flying “White-One”

WO1 Mark R Holtom
(26 March, 1949 - 26 September, 1970) Aircraft Commander

1LT Francis J Sullivan
(4 November, 1942 - 26 September, 1970) Pilot

SP5 Donald A Hall, Jr.
(13 July, 1949 - 26 September, 1970) Crew Chief

SP4 Ernest H Laidler
(1 April, 1950 - 26 September, 1970) Doorgunner

“They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will
remember them. . . Lest we forget....

Daniel E. Tyler